St. Gerard Parish was originally founded in 1949 in the basement of St. Gerard Chapel at the corner of Talbot and Allen. Under the guidance of Father Cunningham, CSS, and with the generous support of parishioners, $28,000 was raised for the building fund. With permission from His Grace, the Most Reverend Maurice Baudoux, Archbishop of Saint Boniface, the school and hall were built. The sod turning for the present school was held on July 9, 1957. :contentReference[oaicite:1]{index=1}
The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary ran the school from its beginnings until the fall of 1976. Sister Veronica of the Crucifix served as the first principal. From 1957 to 1961, three classrooms doubled as worship space on Sundays. From 1957 to 1970, St. Gerard housed grades one to eight; in 1970 it became grades one to six. When kindergarten was added, a portable classroom (“the white house”) was purchased. :contentReference[oaicite:2]{index=2}
In 2000, a major addition brought a gym, library/computer room, staff room, and offices. In 2002, the basement was redeveloped to include three classrooms (grades six, seven, and eight), a science/art lab, and the cafeteria. :contentReference[oaicite:3]{index=3}