History of St. Gerard School

St. Gerard Parish was originally founded in 1949 in the basement of St. Gerard Chapel which was located at the corner of Talbot and Allen. Under the guidance of Father Cunningham, CSS, with the excellent cooperation of the parishoners, $28, 000 was raised for the building fund. With the permission from his Grace the most Reverend Archbishop of St. Boniface, M.Baddies, D.D., the school and hall were built. The sod turning for the present school was held on July 9, 1957.
The sisters of the Holy names of Jesus and Mary ran the school from its beginnings until the fall of 1976. S. Veronica of the Crucifix was the first principal of the school.
From 1957 to 1961, three classrooms in the school were left open to be used as a church on Sundays. From 1957 to 1970, St. Gerard housed grades one to eight. In 1970 it became grade one to six. When kindergarten was added a portable classroom (the white house) was purchased.
In 2000 a new addition was added to the school. This included a gym, library/computer room, staff room and offices. The current basement was redeveloped in 2002 to house three classrooms (grade six, seven and eight) a science/art lab and the cafeteria.